Stony Brook University Hospital
Stony Brook University Hospital (SBUH) is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds and more than 1,200 physicians, SBUH serves as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center. SBUH has 98,000 annual ED visits.
After waiting a year for the IT department to develop a comparable solution, SBUH contracted with d2i in July 2011. d2i delivered a customized performance dashboard and analytics within a few weeks of receiving data from hospital IT and Cerner.
SBUH struggled with a range of issues, including:
- Integrating data from multiple sources, including Cerner, billing and coding systems, and patient satisfaction data
- Spending too many staff hours and resources gathering and tracking data from these disparate sources
- Having timely access to reliable performance metrics to inform the ED management team of key issues
- Difficulty obtaining data internally, with each request for data requiring creation of a special report
- Lack of a data interface that could be used by doctors, nurses, and staff to quickly find answers to clinical performance questions
d2i’s performance dashboard is a cloud-based, software-as-a-service application that creates value by transforming a hospital’s raw data — from multiple data sources — into intuitive, interactive, and actionable information. Parameter-driven algorithms normalize and clean the data, making it “analytics grade.”
d2i integrated data from Cerner with SBUH’s billing and coding data, as well as data on physician hours and patient satisfaction.
ED stakeholders now have important information at their fingertips, including door-to-doctor time, CT and lab TAT, time from door to admit, arranged by service, by diagnosis, and more. With the help of d2i’s performance dashboard, SBUH has gained:
- Up to a 25% increase in RVUs within the first year, and improved income as a result
- A higher degree of confidence in data, and a broader understanding of the department
- Physician measures, including integrated clinical data, patient satisfaction, and more to provide individualized feedback
- Data on incremental throughput times for services provided by other departments to address interdepartmental flow and performance issues
Take Action on Your Data
Would you like to work with a company that shares your passion and commitment to increasing the performance and profitability of your ED? See why no other health care business intelligence application or EHR system even comes close. Contact d2i for more information about how we can help you, or to schedule a 30-minute demo.
Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook, New York
Annual ED Visits
d2i’s ED Performance Dashboard